Thursday, May 20, 2010

Is it to late to plant rose bushes?

I have never planted them before. Do you plant them in the sun? How often do you water? Tell me everything I need to know.

Is it to late to plant rose bushes?
Being that it's only April, I would wait a bit. We use Mother's Day as a rule of thumb up in N.E. USA. Place the rose bush in a sunny area of the yard and make sure it gets water daily. Feed it once a month and deadhead (pick off) the faded blooms to encourage regrowth. In the fall, prune it back.
Reply:No! Quite the opposite. This is the perfect time to plant roses.


If you have not grown roses before, you might try the "knock out" roses. Per my nursery, they are easily grown, have less disease and are very hearty. I tried one last year. It is gorgeous! Good luck!





Roses do well in partial sun or sun and once established, just need to be watered when the ground seems a bit dry. Until the bush is established, probably the first year, I water twice a week and keep it fairly moist.


No comments:

Post a Comment